Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR)
February, 2014-March, 2015
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
Distt. Swat, KP
Target area Mankayal and Balakot are situated in tehsil Behrain and is in the extreme north of Mingora city. Due to its scenic beauty the area is famous for tourism and tourist from all parts of the country visit to the area during summer season therefore, majority of people livelihood is associated with tourism. During 2010 flood area received unparalleled human and financial loss. The access road to area was completely washed out and area remained cut off from other parts of the district for almost six months besides this the hotel industry inflicted unrepairable losses and majority of hotels have been drowned. The area which was already vulnerable to many hazards due to its geography and mountain terrain becomes exposed to multi hazards and the vulnerability of people increased multi fold.
LASOONA-Society for Human and Natural Resource Development with financial and technical support of DKH conducted Rapid Community Vulnerability Analysis in ten villages of union council Mankayal and Balakot and on the basis of HVCRA findings one year project was designed entitled “Enhancing community resilience through inclusive community based disaster risk management”.
According to risk assessment findings, people in the target union councils are confronted with multiple hazards including major floods, flash floods, heavy rains, river bank soil erosion and water born epidemics.
Outputs/result achieved from RA exercise as follow;
- Major flood , flash flood, heavy rainfall ,water borne epidemics and livestock diseases reported most common hazards in all targeted areas
- Hazards calculation conducted on the above multi hazards, showed that all of the targeted communities fall in medium hazards prone to Major flood, flash flood, heavy rainfall, water borne epidemics and livestock diseases.
- Hazards like River Bank Soil erosion, Land sliding , Rock falling, Glacier avalanches, earthquake, heavy snow fall, severe winter weather, essential resources shortage, and transportation accidents also occur in target areas
- Most common activities/events celebrating in the target areas are reported i.e. Land preparation, seasonal migration, crop sowing and harvesting, plantation, seasonal ceremonies, free time, fodder and fuel wood collection and migration to pastures.
- 80% of the target communities property and population exposed to prevailing hazards like Major flood, flash flood, heavy rainfall, water borne epidemics and livestock diseases, 70% of the target community fragile due to internal their weaknesses it means that they have no measures taken to prevent avoid or reduce losses in case of any emergency, 57% of the target community have lack of ability to recover prior state or achieve desired post-disaster state
- Coordination between local authorities and communities need to enhance in future for better understanding of each other need and priorities
- Produced Community hazards, social resource and risk maps which help communities and LASOONA to focus extremes hazards by utilizing community capacities to reduce the impact of disaster in future.
To strengthen Disaster Risk Management (DRM) structures, local authorities and communities through inclusive Community Based Disaster Risk Management (ICBDRM) in District Swat, KPK
Objectives of the project:
SO1: To strengthen capacities of local Communities, vulnerable groups with inclusive approaches to cope with disasters by using their own, locally available resources (Preparedness)
SO2: Local Authorities and DRM structures functioning more effectively to provide appropriate support to at-risk communities’ with close coordination between communities and district DRM structure. (Local authorities strengthening)
SO3: Negative effects of natural disasters on livelihoods and environment are reduced (mitigation)